Janet Roller - Living Oak Ministries

My photo
Hi. I'm Janet Roller: wife of one, mother of two, lover of coffee and writer of songs. I have just finished my first fiction novel and I'm looking forward to watching how God uses the simple story to minister to others. God is a big deal to me. My goal each day is to wake up and declare, "This day is Yours, Lord. Show me what to do with it."

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Any Ideas?

I love it when God gives the same "word" to another person...and then links the two of you up for confirmation. He is SO COOL! Lysa TerKeurst posts about following God's direction with a great story today, too.

Today, I talked with a woman, no one I know, just a woman, about music and our conversation turned to the "old music nobody ever sings anymore". It made my mind go back to our little church services - before programs and singing schedules. If God placed a song on your heart, you could just get up and "sing a special". (I did grow up in a small church - but there is something to be said for freedom in the spirit, Amen?) Was the service timed out exactly to end at Noon on Sundays? No, but we left when God was finished for the day. It was great!
When I called my friend, Amy, she was in the middle of her post for today. She was WRITING ABOUT THIS EXACT THING!!! Check it out here.

I have been recording original songs God has given me. But I now feel like He wants me to include something else. So, with 3 spots left on my music project (to make it a 10 song deal), I am leaning toward some of the 'old standards'. I need some input. I have ideas of my favorites but would love another dose of confirmation from fellow-bloggers. Leave a comment today with a few of your favorites (hymns or whatever). I can't wait to see how God's messages sing out!!!

8 comments:

Carol said...

Oh, honey. This list could get long. But I'll try to narrow down a few. One of my favorite hymns is Great is Thy Faithfulness and then I love He Leadeth Me. A few other favorites are: I'll Fly Away, When We all Get to Heaven, and Oh Happy Day! Can't wait for the finished product!

Janet Roller said...

OH! Great is Thy Faithfulness!
I love it.

Amy Wyatt said...

I like His Name Is Wonderful.
I left you something at my site today.

Darlene said...

Great is Thy Faithfulness is my all time favorite. When I go through trials I sing this and know that God is always Faithful and He always provides! Somehow it makes me feel better.
Made Me Glad is also another favorite.
Let us know when the finish product comes out.

Kimberly said...

Hi!
I am coming here by way of sweet, sweet Amy!
God has been awakening in me a new appreciation for the beauty of old hymns. My favorite right now...Jesus Paid it All! I go around singing it constantly. I am just so thankful for how He washed me white as snow! For how He paid it ALL!
Blessings,
Kimberly :)

Cheri said...

I like this one, but I don't know the name?

He lives, He lives Christ Jesus lives today...He walks with me and talks with me.....

Sorry can't think of the name. There all oldies but goodies!

Amy Wyatt said...

Hey,
Come check out my new Saturday meme. It's about songs.

Jenny said...

I didn't grow up in church as a child so I'm not much help but I do love the idea of passing on the old songs to a new generation!