Janet Roller - Living Oak Ministries

My photo
Hi. I'm Janet Roller: wife of one, mother of two, lover of coffee and writer of songs. I have just finished my first fiction novel and I'm looking forward to watching how God uses the simple story to minister to others. God is a big deal to me. My goal each day is to wake up and declare, "This day is Yours, Lord. Show me what to do with it."

Thursday, January 22, 2009

And Just Like That...

Have you ever felt like your day was God-ordered and "in line" with His plan for the day? AND THEN...something happens? And just like that - you're out of His will.

This morning was great. Matt has been out of town for 4 days and today he's coming home! Anticipation of his return energized our house as we prepared for school. The kids dressed quickly, excited about the "we can wear jeans" day. Normally they wear khaki bottoms with their uniforms everyday. Sam dressed quickly and put on his usual uniform-approved black shoes. In an effort to be a "fun idea" mom...I suggested he wear his "cool sneakers" today. After all - he was already in jeans!

During our ride to school, we had a great talk about doing the "right thing" and being kind to one another. "Things happen everyday and we have a choice of how to react," I inspired. After dropping them off EARLY (kind of a rare occasion), I motored on home feeling like I had really been a great mom today.

Entering the house I began praying for the family and focusing on getting a "word" from God today. My lesson lead me to the state of a heart. This was going to be a GREAT day in God.

In the middle of my really spiritual moment - the phone rang. It was Sam's teacher letting me know that those "cool shoes" I suggested did not meet "uniform standards" and I needed to bring different ones. And just like that...

I love his teacher. But just like that-my spirit of mercy, love and kindness left me. I took the shoes but I was NOT happy about it. I didn't do anything externally-but my heart was huffing. The "reaction" lesson I just spoke about less than an hour earlier was MY lesson for the day.

Sometimes the "word" from God isn't in the scripture...it's in living. How I am living day-to-day shows whether the scripture is sinking in beneath the surface layer of my heart. My prayer today is to be so full of God's love that my reaction matches God's heart.

No comments: