Janet Roller - Living Oak Ministries

My photo
Hi. I'm Janet Roller: wife of one, mother of two, lover of coffee and writer of songs. I have just finished my first fiction novel and I'm looking forward to watching how God uses the simple story to minister to others. God is a big deal to me. My goal each day is to wake up and declare, "This day is Yours, Lord. Show me what to do with it."

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Root or Fruit?

Yesterday I heard a good "nugget" on Pastor Greg Laurie's broadcast. Maybe you'll appreciate it too.

He asked, "Is it a root problem or a fruit problem?"

Think about that. In our spiritual lives, we often attribute our sin to the result or "fruit" of our actions instead of the base or "root" of them.
Ex: "If I could just get rid of my credit card debt, my life would be better. These credit cards are killing me!"

While that may be true, the root of the debt is not the credit card. The debt is the fruit of the sin. The root is covetousness or selfishness. Now, please understand, I'm not referring to those who are resorting to credit to stay afloat in a terrible economy. However, for the rest of us, the "gotta have it" that ran up the bills stemmed from discontentment. That's a root problem.

Christ gets to the root of the matter. Today, as you struggle with issues in your life, decide whether they are the fruit of larger issue. Then, ask God to show and remove the root.

No comments: