Janet Roller - Living Oak Ministries

My photo
Hi. I'm Janet Roller: wife of one, mother of two, lover of coffee and writer of songs. I have just finished my first fiction novel and I'm looking forward to watching how God uses the simple story to minister to others. God is a big deal to me. My goal each day is to wake up and declare, "This day is Yours, Lord. Show me what to do with it."

Friday, April 25, 2008

Priority

This week has been very uneventful compared to the past 4 months: No studio sessions, no evening appointments and no serious deadlines. NO Deadlines? What a joke. Isn't there always something to work toward?

Matt called yesterday with a loaded question. "How would you like Friday night to yourself?" Matt is taking the kids camping tonight with his brother (and his kids). It is sure to be a fun time of laughing, hiking and smelling like outside. Since I opted out of the trip, my mind churned with thoughts of what I could/should do. I must admit, at first, I thought, I don't have anything to do! Gas is too expensive to drive to a good-shopping town (since our shopping is VERY limited). Any "deal" I'd find, my mind would rationalize and add the price of gas - cancelling out the good price. (weird, I know) Even if I did drive there, I don't really want to do all that by myself.

Then the morning came. Kids off to school. Teeth brushed. Lunches packed. Alone in the house. A quick look around as my morning cup of coffee warms my hand, what was I thinking? There is never a shortage of things to do!!! I'll re-clean the house, like I did yesterday and the day before and the day... My window box flowers from winter need to be changed. Hey, maybe I'll paint my den...or my bedroom! Organize! That's what I'll do. Man, we will all feel better if I can just get the whole house organized tonight! I'm tired already.

I'm going to be leading worship at Cliffside Baptist's Women's Conference in May. This will be a great opportunity to prepare further for that. I've been working on compiling a DVD of my speaking events for churches that request a sneak peek. That needs more work. The Blue Ridge Christian Writers' Conference is coming up May 18-22 and I need to focus on a book proposal (or two) to present. Ministry brochures have been requested by some churches that need to be prepared and mailed. Yikes! Suddenly, the one-night "to myself" doesn't seem so relaxing. Now I'm wondering if one night is enough!

The possibilities of busyness are unending. Never is there a lack of things to occupy us. But now, I am choosing the "better thing" to begin the day. I began reading Psalm again yesterday. As I pray this morning, I know God will weed out the list of "need to's" and "ought to's". And, just like that, the empty house, once desperate for direction, becomes a sanctuary with a purpose.

Lord, thank You for being the ultimate Refocus-er! It would be so easy to become overwhelmed with confusion. You are NOT the author of confusion - Satan is. I cling to You today for direction and know when this day is done, more than anything else, I've been in Your Will. You are my priority.

2 comments:

Carol said...

"I know God will weed out the list of "need to's" and "ought to's". And, just like that, the empty house, once desperate for direction, becomes a sanctuary with a purpose." - My favorite line! This was great. I could really relate to this one!

Amy Wyatt said...

I hope you enjoyed some much needed quiet and found what "needed" to be done yesterday. Thanks for the text. I felt the prayers. The conference went great.
Will chat soon.
Great post by the way!