Janet Roller - Living Oak Ministries

My photo
Hi. I'm Janet Roller: wife of one, mother of two, lover of coffee and writer of songs. I have just finished my first fiction novel and I'm looking forward to watching how God uses the simple story to minister to others. God is a big deal to me. My goal each day is to wake up and declare, "This day is Yours, Lord. Show me what to do with it."

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Baby Jesus is Missing!

Draw near to me and I will draw near to you. James 4:7

A missionary couple came to our church one Sunday with items from far-away lands. There were carvings, glass sculptures and other hand-made art pieces for sale to support those answering the call to reach others for Christ. Looking through the pieces, the one piece that meshed my love for pretty things and my husband’s love for exotic woods stood out. A hand-carved nativity of olive wood from Jordan went home with us. It was beautiful.
Since it was such a pricy set, our young children were advised strongly not to play with the new smooth statues. Clearly tempted, they agreed. A week went by and I began dusting the den. It was then I noticed the smallest piece of the collection was missing, that of baby Jesus.
When school was over, questioning began about the missing baby Jesus. After little interrogation, the younger of the two reached deep into his pocket to reveal the faceless, unhurt carving. “I didn’t mess it up, Mommy,” he explained “I thought we could keep each other company. I just wanted Him to be with me all day.” Humbled by the thought of a small child wanting to be close to “Jesus” left me speechless and introspective. The lesson was more precious than the rare collection.
Do you long for His closeness? He longs to be near you. Just call His precious name and He will come right where you are. We don’t have to carry a symbol of Him in our pockets – but He does want to live in your heart. If you’ve never asked Him to live there-take a moment to talk to Him. He wants to be where you are!

Lord, sometimes it is hard to believe You would want to spend time with me. I know You do. Help me to draw closer to you and desire you more than ever. Today I dedicate my life to You. Help me desire and long for your company and guidance in my life. I love you, Lord.

2 comments:

Cheri said...

That is such a precious moment.Kids are so smart it's scary sometimes. What a wonderful memory!

Carol said...

That was good stuff. I love that story!