Janet Roller - Living Oak Ministries

My photo
Hi. I'm Janet Roller: wife of one, mother of two, lover of coffee and writer of songs. I have just finished my first fiction novel and I'm looking forward to watching how God uses the simple story to minister to others. God is a big deal to me. My goal each day is to wake up and declare, "This day is Yours, Lord. Show me what to do with it."

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

To Know Him is to Love Him

For those who check in on me from time-to-time, please be in prayer about the "next step" toward my recording project. As it stands, I am scheduled to go back into the studio to record 4-5 more songs on February 28th.
These songs are a combination of styles and messages that I hope will fit together for a worshipful end result.
I am a bit excited about one for sentimental reasons. In the early 90's my mom wrote some poetry. Although I realize I didn't value alot of things I should have in my "youth", I have looked over those writings since her death 12 years ago. One she entitled "Divine Love" was basically a love poem to God. She was always writing, singing, cooking or creating.
I remember her washing the dishes and singing that old 50's or 60's tune, "To know, know, know him is to love,love, love him...and I do". Do you remember the one? Man, that woman could sing, too! Well, at that time in my life, anything that didn't come out the hymnal with four verses and a refrain was considered "worldly!" I was in shock! My mama was singing worldly music! How did she even know that song? Afterall, there was no way she had a life outside of my lifetime, right?
Well, after I quickly pointed out her sin - sure she would fall to her knees in repentance - she simply answered, "you don't know who I'm singin' to". That brief moment in my early teens has stuck with me.
As one who loves worshipful expression through music, I admit I often observe those in services singing the most beautifu lyrics - with no concept of what they are singing or Who they are singing to/for. This song will be for God- but honoring my mom.
I am so thankful that I had a mom who cared enough about God and me to point out simple ways to worship - even when you are doing the dishes.

2 comments:

Carol said...

Oh, Janet. I can't wait to hear your songs. Especially the one in honor of your mother. I know it will be beautiful!

Amy Wyatt said...

Can't wait to hear it.